The Narrator's Parting Words

     During class, we were prompted to analyze the epilogue of Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison, in particular focusing on the contrast between the opening line of the novel which begins with the word “I” (3), and the closing line which ends with “you” (581). This prompt inspired me to focus my sights on an aspect of Invisible Man I had not, upon first finishing the novel. I hadn’t taken notice of how in transitioning from beginning the novel with “I” to ending with “you,” Ellison may have been attempting to convey a presence of character development for the narrator.

    Upon further assessment, in doing so, the narrator seeks to establish a sense of community regarding the experiences he has endured throughout the novel. Rather than focusing solely on himself, and his own individual experiences, the narrator understands that at the very least there are people who may have found themselves in similar situations, including concealing one’s culture/heritage, experiencing difficulty with finding one’s identity, and being in a position where success is achieved only through blindingly obeying the orders of those around them. Consequently, through the narrator speaking for these individuals, he allows them to acquire a very necessary form of representation and recognition.  

    Not only does the narrator serve as an advocate for these individuals, but he also hopes to inspire others to follow his own approach towards discovering one’s identity. In living underground, the narrator takes the time to reflect on himself and encourages others to do the same, claiming that in order to truly detach oneself from their actions, it is far more beneficial to look from under the surface rather than observing from above. By ending the novel with “you” rather than “I,” the narrator directs the various underlying messages of the novel to an audience of individuals who may see some of themselves in the narrator, and thus hope to discover their own identity through his experiences. 



Comments

  1. Great Post! You did a good job emphasizing the narrator's character change and what message it spreads to readers. I think it is very true that a lot of the time in our society it is encouraged to simply follow what people around you are doing and ignore how you personally feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how your interpretation of the Narrator's parting words! I especially like how in-depth you were on the implications of "I" versus "you," since the nuances and definitely important. I agree that the Narrator's development over the novel reflects his focus from individual to more communal, and how the Narrator has really become aware that there's others like him who he can perhaps help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this post is the bomb.com! I completely agree with your insights regarding the parting words of the narrator and share a similar interpretation of the juxtaposition of "I" and "You" from the novel. The narrator develops social awareness, and in doing so, may lose sight of his own experiences and view life through the eyes of others, hence, "You" on the final page of the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fantastic blog post! I really like how you outlined your points in a concise and insightful manner. Your analysis is really terrific and I definitely agree with your examination of what the meaning of the difference between using the words "I" and "you" is. I think your final point about how the intended audience of the narrator's story is not just people who think and experience things exactly as the narrator has, but rather anyone who can see even a little bit of themselves in him. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a great blog post! I completely agree that by choosing to end the novel with "you" instead of "I" the narrator is drawing in all readers and forming a community of people who he wishes will discover their own identities. This change also represents how the narrators mindset changes from individual to communal as the book closes. You did a great job of drawing out this meaning in a concise manner. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I like your thoughts on the choice of “I” and “you” as the beginning and final words. It shows an obvious transition from development of invisibility to focusing on new topics. The narrator has found his invisibility so now he can focus on what he really wants which is public speaking, a goal which he can fulfill by being a spokesperson by the readers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on your blog post! You did a really good job analyzing and thinking about what it meant to start the novel with "I" and end it with "you." I also hadn't noticed this until we were prompted to think about it during class. I think it is interesting how the narrator starts out the novel seeming to just talk about his own experiences, but by the end we realize he is also making a greater point about society as a whole and how everyone can relate to what he is saying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your analysis of these two parts in the novel. I definitely think it's interesting to think about perspective in this novel, from the intended audience to even the narrator's point of view and whether that is credible or not. I agree that the narrator's mission was to connect the reader to his experiences and help them see and understand their own at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts